Sunday, August 07, 2005

60 years have gone by fast

Has it been 60 years since the end of WWII was in sight? I had totally forgotten that yesterday was the anniversary of the nuclear attack on Hiroshima. I know that people far smarter than I had researched the subject and some some them think the US shouldn't have used a nuclear weapon. I'm not smart enough to argue the fine details of that discussion. But I do know that two flights of B-29 Stratofotresses ended WWII in the course of a week. About two dozen men brought to a close a war that had raged for a decade and cost millions of millions of lives.

If people want to argue that the US should not have dropped the bombs, fine. But I know there are countless people alive today who would not otherwise be. They are the Soldiers, Marines, Airmen, and Sailors of the US, Britain, Japan, Russia, and the other involved parties who did not die in an amphibious assault. They are the children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren of those same men. To me, that justifies the attack.

It's Sunday, my only day off. I'll be on the motorcycle if anyone needs me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment