Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Dragging

As it seems to always be the case my time at MEPS on Monday was not productive. My time on today was shaping up to even worse, but the clouds parted and a ray of sunshine shone through. My motivating applicant signed his contract and life was good. Granted, it was good a day too late to mission box, but it's not like I didn't need a contract this month too.

Lest I be accused of sand-bagging, the difference between him enlisting today and yesterday was about 100 incentive points and anywhere between $100 and $600 dollars in my checking account. I wasn't sand-bagging. But as I said, I needed a contract this month so now it's done and I can work on the next one.

I've been tired a lot lately. The early mornings for MMA training catch up to me during the day. And then recently I had a lot of early Tuesday-Thursdays to take care of recruiting things. But when I get home I don't fall right asleep.

Recruiting has become this all-encompassing part of my life. There are so few times when it isn't at the front of my mind. Thinking about people whom I'm working. Thinking about how I can go about getting a particular job they want. Thinking about the work that I need to do, yet don't want to. It really is a drain. Even on a good day when a contract enlists it's a 12 hour day. In about the past month and a half I've had a handful of days where I literally didn't get home until the day after I went to work. I have the newest GOV in our lot at a little under a year old, yet I've put more miles on it than some of the vehicles that we've had for two years. I drive constantly and everywhere. If it's west of I-17 and north of I-8 I've probably driven through it. If it sells Coke I've probably stopped there.

I want to think there's a light at the end of the tunnel. I've even fooled myself once or twice into thinking the tour is drawing to a close. But I know it's not. I don't have orders, and to think that way is to set myself up for horrific disappointment. The sort of disappointment that will result in me sleeping it off in the bath tub because it makes cleaning up easier. I know I shouldn't drink to escape my problems, but thinking about getting extended in recruiting made me go to the fridge and get a long neck.

mmmmmmm... frosty cold.

0 comments:

Post a Comment