Sunday, June 04, 2006

Sneak Previews

Went and saw Da Vinci Code with Mrs. SFC B last night. Not a bad chase flick, but it wasn't without its flaws. I can't speak to the whole "blasphemous" or "conspiracy" thing. It's a movie. If someone will lose their faith because of it, well, kinda says something about their commitment. And if someone watches the movie, or even reads the book, and decides to question about 1500 years of history well, there's that Loose Change movie that I'm sure is on their Netflix que.

It's summertime and that means there are some decent looking movies coming to theatres near me. I've already dropped my $6.50 to see X-Men III, and this summer another awesome superhero movie will be gracing the screen. Superman returns to the movie going public and I'm eager for it. Much like Bill from Kill Bill, I like Superman. I like the mythos, the history, the everything. The original Superman movie is one of my favorites, despite it's occasional stupidity.

There isn't much about Cars that really appeals to me. But it's by Pixar and Pixar has earned my money in the past. If Cars is the worst thing that Pixar puts out in past 15 years it's a track record any other studio would be thrilled to have I'm sure.

Dead Man's Chest probably promises to become to best movie sequel to a movie based on an amusement ride in history. That's an unfair backhanded compliment. The original was an incredibly good movie. It was well-written, well-acted, and it was aware that it was a silly concept. There's nothing wrong with a stupid good movie, as long as they're treated like a stupid good movie. Few things suck more than a stupid movie that wants to be taken serious.

Will Farrell stole my talking pet schitck in Ron Burgundy, but he's still wicked, wicked, wicked funny and I have no problem enriching his coffers for his Talladega Nights. Despite him often playing painfully stupid characters he plays them straight and honestly. At least that's my opinion. All too often it seems to me that actors trying to play comedic characters try too hard. Farrell comes off naturally and that's why I'll be dropping my SDAP for him.

One film I will never, ever, ever, ever see will be Snakes on a Plane. I don't care if it's the best movie ever. It could be better than every other movie that has ever been made, and ever will be made, and I will never watch it. I know that snakes are incredibly important predators in the ecosystem. Snakes control rodent populations helping prevent the spread of diseases and the loss of valuable grains. Good snakes. They also creep me out more than anything else. It doesn't help Snakes on a Plane's case that every other snake-based movie ever made were painfully stupid.

Anyways, there's my to-do list for summer movie watching. Tomorrow to suck resumes again.

0 comments:

Post a Comment