Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Speak of the Devil

Talking about the allure of ill-gotten gains seems to have sparked a bit of humor in the Recruiting Gods. Of course it's dark humor since they're evil, vengeful gods. I'm conducting an applicant who wanted some info about the Reserves so thy could compare and contrast the facts and benefits with those being offered by the service for which they were currently processing. Although he lived well out of my usual driving range, I was going to be in the area anyway so he agreed to meet me at a place between his house and where I was going to be. Try and save us both some hassle.

It was not to be.

I call to find out why they weren't where we agreed to meet and find out that, of course, there is no transportation for the prospect. Something about parents, cars, the usual pains. Despite my misgivings I agree to travel the rest of the way to the house after I wrap up what I'd originally planned, despite the fact it's going to add about 90 minutes round trip to my travel time. I arrive at the house and the prospect is waiting for me. Good sign. Get inside, surprisingly nice inside. Didn't look like much coming up the rutted irt road, but well decorated. Good sign.

The prospect has no interest at all in what I'm talking about. This person is looking for someone who will talk to a judge and get some charges dropped if they agree to join the military. DANGER WILL ROBINSON! DANGER! Prior to that little recruiting improprity bombshell the person was already of dubious qualification because of the biggest "4:20" tattoo I'd ever seen. This "prospect" knew the game and had obviously been shopping for recruiters who'd be willing to cross the line to hook them up. Had mentioned how he knew to tell the doctors that "4:20" was in memorail for a friend who'd died on April 20th, or something else innocent, and not what it really meant.

It would have been a very distressing day to have travelled so far for so little, but since the things I'd had to get done earlier involved scheduling someone for next week I wasn't bummed out. But I'll be keeping an eye on the floor reports to see if anyone puts this person in, because to have done so would probably have involved something not good.

Anyways, late and I'm having to give up my grill due o the Fire Marshall. Bastages.

0 comments:

Post a Comment