Thursday, July 12, 2007

Who's next?

So, I was sitting in the office today, doing some follow-ups while waiting for my kid on the floor to clear phys, when I started to give serious though to who I was going to enlist next. I was going through my lists when I was struck by a bolt out of left field. Or perhaps I should say I was struck by a bolt out of first base. I decided that I want to try and enlist Jeff Bagwell.

Yes. That Jeff Bagwell.

It's been a long time since I set my goals on something super awesome and yet seemingly unachievable. Having Jeff Bagwell join the Army Reserve would be super awesome, and fits the bill for seemingly unachievable.

I, honestly, don't even know if it's possible. I mean he does have a pretty well documented injury history. But medical issues are up for the docs to decide, not me. I just get the paperwork.

I do see a couple of obstacles to this. Disregarding the whole medical issue. I still have the not-insignifigant problem that I have no idea how to go about contacting Mr. Bagwell to see if he's interested in enlisting. And the slightly-less-not-insignifigant problem that he's in Houston and I'm in Phoenix. But if anyone thinks I won't travel to Houston for a contract they're wrong.

Some people might argue that Mr. Bagwell is incredibly wealthy, he did get a 7 million dollar buyout, but I'd have to counter that part of the reason Mr. Bagwell was able to accumulate his vast amount of wealth, in addition to his unnatural ability to hit a baseball an extremely long distance, is that he had the good fortune to be born in the greatest country on Earth with the best, most professional Army in history.

Far, far, far be it for me to imply that anyone has an obligation to serve in the military. And I certainly don't mean to imply that Jeff Bagwell, the best Astro ever, and my favorite baseball player, is someone who owes anything to anyone. He's a private citizen who has capitalized on his abilites and his hard work to reach a level of perfection in his chosen profession which a miniscule few can ever hope to glimpse, let alone thrive in for 15 years. But damn, it sure would be cool to have him on my APL.

So, Mr. Bagwell, how do you like the thought of wearing a uniform again? It'll still have your name on it, but instead it will be on the front rather than the back. If you're interested, shoot me an email at john-dot-bradshaw-at-us-dot-army-dot-mil.

Yes, I am deluding myself into thinking Jeff Bagwell will somehow stumble upon my blog. What's it to ya?

0 comments:

Post a Comment