Tuesday, May 13, 2008

To much time

So, over the weekend I was reading an entry from Rachel Lucas on her opinions of Firefly. BLUF: she might have gotten knocked up by images of Captain Tightpants. While reading the comments on her post though I saw a link to Allecto who had written a slightly less praising review of the Firefly universe. BLUF: she might have gotten knocked up by images of Captain Tightpants, but only because he is a viscious woman hater who raped her repeatedly.
For myself, I’m not sure that I will recover from the shock of watching the malicious way in which Joss stripped his female characters of their integrity, the pleasure he seemed to take from showing potentially powerful women bashed, the way he gleefully demonized female power and selfhood and smashed women into little bits, male fists in women’s faces, male voices drowning out our words.
Obviously I'm terribly biased because of that whole "being a man thing", but if having to watch a TV show creates everlasting, emotionally scarring in you, maybe the problem is you. I don't even know why I'm wasting my time writing this, but I'm going to damnit.
The first scene opens in a war with Mal and Zoe. Zoe runs around calling Mal ‘sir’ and taking orders off him. I roll my eyes. Not a good start.
I knew I was in for a lot of unintentional comedy when I read this line. The scene to which the writer is referring is the opening scene of the pilot. In this scene Mal and Zoe are members of a rebel military force. Mal out ranks Zoe so Zoe calls him "sir". Techincally, Mal is an enlisted member, but maybe the Independents (not Independence as Allecto misstates) have a Marine-like structure where NCOs are referred to as "sir" by those they outrank. Now I'm sure Ms. Allecto could write 10 paragraphs about how she felt battered because a woman was subordinate to a man within a military, but Zoe isn't calling Mal "sir" in that because Joss Whedon gets off on seeing women call men honorifcs, but because they're in the damned military. Stripping lines of their context will be a repeated feature of Allecto's diatribe.
The next scene is set in the present. Mal, Jayne, and Zoe are floating about in space. They come into some danger. Mal gets all panicky. Zoe says, “This ship's been derelict for months. Why would they –” Mal replies, (in Chinese) “Shut up.” So in the very second scene of the very first episode, an episode written and directed by the great feminist Joss, a white man tells a black woman to ‘shut up’ for no apparent reason.
Um, Allecto, he didn't tell her to "shut-up" for "no apparent reason". In this scene the crew of Serenity was conducting an illegal salvage operation when a large cruiser from the government happened upon the scene unexpectedly. Mal was telling Zoe to "shut-up" because it was possible for the cruiser to detect them based on their communications. Now, "shut-up" is rude, but Allecto strips the scene of any semblance of context in the effort to prove her point that Jooss Whedon is a sexist racist.

How Allecto managed to keep from spontaneously combusting upon the introduction of Inara, the prostitute, is beyond me. Maybe only her hair caught on fire.

Being the sterotypical mysogynist I am, at this point, I was wondering when Allecto was going to cast aspersions real life hetrosexual relationships. In my "Guide to Hating Women" manual, which I got at my quarterly Knuckle-Draggers meeting, it tells me that lesbian feminists like nothing more than to insult nonlesbian relationships. Honestly, I do wish I was joking and that I didn't know that insults about heterosexual relations were imminent. I wish that a hardcore lesbian feminist wouldn't be so transparent and intellectually bankrupt as to need to attack relationships between men and women. Of course, as the old saying goes, if wishes were horses than beggars would ride. It takes Allecto about two paragraphs to go from editoralizing on a television show, to alledging that the producer of the show treats his wife as a prostitute.
Beyond a shadow of a doubt, Joss uses his own wife in this way (SFC B as a prostitute). Expects her to clean up his emotional messes. Expects her to be there, eternally supportive, eternally subservient and grateful to him in all his manly glory. I hope the money is worth it, Mrs. Whedon.
I'm curious if the Whedon's are aware that a blogger has convertly installed a series of cameras into their household so as to observe them and eliminate all doubt as to the nature of their relationship. Unless of course she's just being libelous. Of course, she can't limit herself to making assumptions about the relationship of only one couple.
Let me just say now that I have never personally known of a healthy relationship between a white man and a woman of colour.
I wonder if she ever stops to think about what it is about her that leads her to know only people in abusive relationships. Well, I guess we've established that Allecto doesn't know Carol Mosely Braun, Robert DeNiro, and William Cohen. Of course, the possibility that there is a perception bias since Allecto is, apparently, a very proud, vocal feminist who happens to also be a lesbian can't be ignored. I highly doubt that Allecto's circle of friends would include a large number of healthy heterosexual couples since, frankly, people natually tend to group with people like themselves.

See, I can make half-assed assumptions about people I've never met too!

Seriously though, reading through Allecto's various blogs reveals that a world where radial feminists controlled entertainment would be a truly horrible place. A place where the sweet nothingness of death would be a welcome release. I never actually believed the sterotype that feminists had no sense of humor until I spent a couple hours reading someone who claims to be a feminist. There really is no joy or humor in this woman's writing. Of course since she thinks sex between a man and a woman is always rape, that half of the world are morons, and that the half that are morons run the world, I can understand why she's be joyless and humorless.

By-the-by, can someone please explain to me what "patriarchal medicine" is?

0 comments:

Post a Comment