Thursday, July 07, 2011

Dad's Letters from Vietnam 2

29 Dec. 68
0450

Hi Toad (SFC B: No idea who this is, but the envelop was addressed to, I think, one of my uncles)

How is it going back home now? I got my R+R to Australia for the 16-21 JAN and then I'll be home by the end of the first week in Feb.

Short!

I'll be leaving this God-damned hill either tomorrow for a dental medevac or else in the next ten days for my R+R. I don't know exactly what I'm going to do but I know my mom won't go like Don's on his R+R. I have so many things that I want to do that I may just go crazy.

29 Dec 68
1618

We have the afternoon off today and also a promotion formation. All the PVTs and PFCs are getting promoted and most of them are going home next month.

The weather has started getting cold so I guess winter has finally hit, and so did the gooks (SFC B: I'm copying verbatim and this is from a Marine in Vietnam in 1968; deal with it) last night. A few more tried to get in but got their asses zapped. The only place that isn't mined is the trash dumps but they make so much noise that a claymore made short work of them. It is a gruesome sight, especially when they were almost on top of the mine. Well that is all from my end. See you in Feb.

Chris

P.S. do you still have the negatives of the gun I sent you a while ago?
So, I'm planning to give a couple of uncles a call to see if I can get some of the back story that is, clearly, missing in the letter. One of these days I'll need to actually sort them out and try to get them into chronological order. Will make it a lot easier to see what was going on.

0 comments:

Post a Comment