Monday, December 20, 2010

Early Christmas Present

Well, I got an unexpected message today.

Mr. Hanging is now SSG Hanging.

When I checked my email this morning I had this message waiting for me.
I am very pleased that I joined the Army. It was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I have learned so much in the last 5 years. I will be staying in until I reach retirement. I am so glad you helped me get in and if it were not for your assistance I would not be the honorable man I am today.
There was more to it than that, but that stuff isn't the topic of this post so I'm excluding it. My blog, my rules!

I can't think of something I'd have rather gotten this year than that message. Well, something I'd have rather gotten which I had a legitimate chance of getting.

At the macro level it's all numbers. Just another GA, HA, SA, PS, or whatever. Some of them make it, some of them don't. But they are people who became Soldiers, and all of them went on to make an impact. Some of them made a better impact than others, but they were all important. No matter what else happens in my career, no matter what mistakes I make or successes I have, I'm able to take comfort in the knowledge that, with at least one person, I've managed to help the next generation of the Army.

Anyways, this has been a year of ups and downs. Have had a lot of craptacular moments and a lot of moments of joy. It's nice to be able to end the year on a good note.

0 comments:

Post a Comment